My Moment

The bright party lights at the Leisure Time Bowl glare down at me.  Dance music booms in the background, as non competitive bowlers take in some fun out of this leisure sport.  Little kids running around back and forth make some of the highest pitched noise in the alley.
624-630.  Stuy is down by six pins in the last ball, and it’s all up to me.  We have been undefeated in the regular season for the past four years, and the continuation of that trend is all up to me.
I am standing at the rack, waiting for the ball to return.  Sparing the last ball gives me a third shot in the 10th frame, and it’s six or die here for this final throw.   My teammates are whispering in the back, too scared to take bets this time.  Coach is staring at the screen, too dazed out to even glance at me and see what is running through my mind. 
One thing about being captain and being a team leader in general is that you have to be the trend setter, to lead by example.  I have always preached about coming through in the clutch, because as my favorite athlete Dwyane Wade once said, “If you can make a shot in practice, why can’t you make that same shot when you really need it?”  But now, it’s time to walk the walk.  There isn’t going to be any more preaching from me unless I make this shot.
The pinsetters finish their job as a clean rack of ten pins face me.  I pick up my ball and prepare myself for the routine.  Finding my spot on the boards and the arrows, I brace myself. 
But I stop.  I realize that this is never going to happen to me again.  Never will a team need me as much as it does right now.  I will never have to make such a crucial bowling shot in my whole life again.  I HAVE to make at least six pins. 
Breathe.  Hold the ball with control, but not too tightly.  The second arrow from the right.  The 18th board also from the right.  Plant my feet firmly on that board.  Left foot in front, four steps.  Last step slide with the left.
I let go of that once-in-a-lifetime shot with my hardest throw.  The blur of red and blue rolls down the lane, and I can’t believe that all my hard work boils down to a few moments in this hot, sweaty alley. 
Captain is captain, as one of my teammates says.  And it’s true.  That blur of color barrels through the pins as everyone hears one of the best sounding strikes in a long time.  Undefeated in my captain season.  Undefeated for five seasons straight.

No comments:

Post a Comment